Which Sweetener - Stevia or Xylitol or Erythritol?
We are often asked which is the best sweetener. All of our natural sweeteners, Xylitol, Erythritol and Stevia have their differences (see Product Comparison Information) and so it really depends on what you are looking for in a sweetener that will determine what you believe is the right one for you. However, here are our observations about these products that you may wish to consider:
- - Xylitol looks and tastes like sugar (but better). Erythritol has a simialar taste to Xylitol but not as sweet. However, Stevia does not quite have that same look and taste to it that sugar does.
- - Because of this, we find that it is a lot easier transition for people to move from sugar to either Xylitol or Erythritol than it is to Stevia. Quite simply, your taste buds will adapt more easily.
- - For people who are currently using artificial sweeteners (Equal etc), it is usually an easier transition to Stevia. Although those moving from sugar will find our Naturally Sweet Blend very similar, but not identical, to sugar.
- - Remember that our taste buds take some time to adjust to new tastes (up to 21 days), so it is essential that you give the transition to a new sweetener a little time. Some people change immediately but others do take longer, depending upon their past experiences and tastes.
- - Try your preferred sweetener in tea/coffee etc first and then move on to cooking/baking.
- - Xylitol can cause some initial discomfort to some people. As you already produce Xylitol in your own body, if you suddenly substantially increase the amount you may find that your body wants to reject (the same as it can with a cane sugar overload). So, like everything else, use it in moderation until your body adjusts to it.
- - Xylitol behaves exactly the same as cane sugar in cooking and baking but sometimes sweetness has to be adjusted (we recommend downwards), depending upon the recipe. Stevia does not respond quite the same way so a little more experimentation is required. There are plenty of good books available now to assist with this.
- - All of our products have low or zero GI and are therefore suitable foruse by diabetics.
- - For weight management it should be noted that while lower than cane suagr Xylitol still has a calorie content. So, if you are counting calories Erythritol and/or Stevia might be better options for you.