110g (4oz) butter, softened
10g (½oz) Naturally Sweet Xylitol
225g (8oz) plain flour
½ teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
A good pinch of mustard powder – around ½ teaspoon
A small pinch of salt
2 fresh eggs
4 tablespoons milk
75g (3oz) well-flavoured mature Cheddar cheese
1. Whizz the butter and Naturally Sweet Xylitol together in a food processor.
2. Add the raising agents, chilli powder, mustard powder and salt to the weighed flour. Carefully sieve in half of this and then add the eggs.
3. Sieve the rest of the flour, mustard and raising agents over the top and whizz briefly.
4. Add the milk and whizz again.
5. Add the cheese. Whizz until combined: the mixture will remain fairly stiff.
6. Spoon into the prepared tin, dividing the mixture as equally as possible.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the buns are springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
8. Leave in the tin for a few minutes, as they are very fragile at this stage, and then ease them out gently with a small palette knife.
9. Cool on a wire rack. Cover with a clean tea towel to keep them moist and prevent them drying out as they cool.