Follow our fantastic recipes @alowcarblowsugarlifestyle #ketohh
A delicious sugar free recipe for Pad Thai Zoodle Salad.
This recipe ticks all of the boxes, as it's vegetarian, low carb and gluten free, as well as being perfect for paleo and vegans. It takes no time at all to throw together and is perfect to serve as a meal, especially if it's too hot to use your oven or stove top.
The dressing that goes with this salad is based on a traditional Pad Thai sauce and features stevia to add just a little sweetness, therefore there's no need to worry about the impact on blood sugar levels. The end result is an authentic tasting recipe that is not so authentic, as it's a salad instead of being a hot dish but it all comes together absolutely perfectly.
I source my Konjac noodles from Aldi or from my local supermarket. You can also buy them in Japanese or Asian specialty stores. Konjac noodles can also be called Shirataki noodles, and both are the same thing. They make a wonderful low carb noodle replacement option, especially for recipes that would normally use rice noodles.
Some people complain of a funny smell when they open a packet of konjac noodles. I find the smell dissipates and have never noticed a strange taste when cooking with them. I have cooked with many different brands and types of konjac/shirataki noodles and have never had any issues.
Try serving this delicious Pad Thai Zoodle Salad on it’s own or to make it more substantial add a serve of protein on the side. I particularly love to serve this dish with Chicken Satay as the flavors work really well together.
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Total Time:35 minutes
Pad Thai Dressing Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce use tamari or coconut aminos as an alternative
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or nut butter
- 1 tablespoon tahini unhulled
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or EVOO-extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons water to thin the dressing
- Juice of 1½ limes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili minced - or to taste
- 3 teaspoons stevia blend or alternative sweetener- optional and to taste
Pad Thai Salad Ingredients
- 400 gms Konjac/Shirataki noodles additional zucchini zoodles can be used in lieu of these
- 400 gms zucchini zoodles approx 3 medium zucchini cut into zoodles.
- 1 red pepper/capsicum very finely sliced
- 1 cup kale leaves very thinly sliced or bok choy greens/spinach greens
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander chopped lncluding roots
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanuts chopped
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- Red chili flakes dried
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Wedges of lime
Method for Pad Thai Sauce
Mix all ingredients together into a sauce and set aside. If sauce is too thick use additional water to thin it down.
Method for Pad Thai Salad
Pour boiling water over the konjac/shirataki noodles and let sit for a few minutes. Drain and run cold water over them and set aside to cool.
Combine the noodles with the remaining salad ingredients. Add the Pad Thai dressing to taste and mix through gently until combined.
Serve into individual bowls and garnish with chili flakes, chopped coriander leaves and a wedge of lime.
To make the dish more substantial you can add cold shredded chicken to the recipe. Prawns served on the side taste delicious as well.
Firm tofu/fried tofu can also be added to the recipe to make it a more substantial vegetarian or vegan option.