For breakfast, brunch or a snack, scones are a well-loved treat! Cut the sugar and white refined flour and make them a whole lot healthier! Whole-wheat pastry flour and SweetLeaf® Liquid Stevia Valencia Orange Sweet Drops™ make these soft and flaky with a sweet hint of citrus.
Scones (serves 8)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon powdered stevia
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, sliced
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1 orange and zest (or 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup 1% milk (or equivalent)
- 1/2 teaspoon SweetLeaf® Liquid Stevia Valencia Orange Sweet Drops™
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (grain sweetened) or carob chips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Using 2 knives, cut the cold butter into the dry mixture until it forms small pea-sized pieces of dough. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the egg, orange juice, milk and Valencia Orange Sweet Drops together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. On a floured surface and with floured hands, knead the dough a few times. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to the lined baking sheet and shape it into about an 8-inch circle. Using an oiled pizza cutter, slice the dough into 8 triangles. Use a spatula to separate the wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Sugar-Fee Mom