Follow our fantastic recipes @alowcarblowsugarlifestyle #ketohh
Low Carb Chicken Larb Gai made with monk fruit.
A quick and easy Thai dish that's ideal for lunch or dinner. Serve hot or cold- it's a dish that the whole family will love. One of my favourite ways to serve it is topped on a salad bowl. Try switching the chicken mince for pork for a great variation as well.
A low carb way of eating isn't difficult when you can enjoy recipes like this.
While Larb Gai traditionally uses roasted ground rice as a topping, it has been omitted from this recipe to keep it low carb. My favorite alternative topping is chopped roasted peanuts but you could also use toasted sesame seeds.
Gai in Thai means chicken, which is why this recipe has the name Larb Gai. This recipe also tastes fabulous made with pork mince. Follow the recipe exactly as it is and simply swap the chicken for pork.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 500 grams ground/minced chicken
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced can be switched shallot or spring onion
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass ground into a paste
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 small red chili finely chopped or to taste
- ½ cup mint leaves finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 12 lettuce leaves to serve
- Chopped red chili to serve
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds lightly toasted optional for topping
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts chopped optional for topping
- 1-2 teaspoons monk fruit blend or to taste
Place a large frying pan over medium heat and toast the sesame seeds or the chopped peanuts until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
Reheat the pan on a high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the ground/minced chicken and the garlic and fry until cooked through. Make sure the chicken doesn't brown or clump up.
Add the fish sauce, lemongrass, and ginger. Stir through and cook for another minute before removing from heat.
Allow the mixture to cool slightly before adding the lime juice, red onion (or spring onion), chili, mint and coriander/cilantro. Stir until combined.
Spoon the mixture evenly into the lettuce leaves and top with either roasted peanuts or sesame seeds and additional chopped fresh chili if desired.
Add chili to suit your taste.
Serve warm or cold.
Baby Gem lettuce sourced from Coles make the perfect lettuce cups
Tastes delicious served as a salad bowl.