200g (7oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp baking powder (gluten-free if necessary)
1/2 tsp salt
100g (4oz) Naturally Sweet Xylitol
2 medium free-range eggs or organic eggs
180ml (6fl oz) mild or medium olive oil
170g (just under 6oz) good quality dark chocolate
225g (8oz) courgettes
55g (just over 2oz) walnuts, finely chopped
For the cream cheese frosting
250g (9oz) low-fat cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp Total Sweet
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Line a 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the Naturally Sweet Xylitol.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs into the oil
5. Melt the chocolate over a bain marie or in the microwave. Meanwhile, grate the courgettes.
6. Stir the eggs and oil into the dry ingredients, then mix in the melted chocolate, courgettes and nuts.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is well risen, firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack before icing.
8. To make the cream cheese frosting , mix together the cream cheese, vanilla extract and Total Sweet until smooth then spread on the cake. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.